Brazil World Cup Logos Between 1950 and 2014

Sometimes designing a logo is one of the most boring activities of the design profession, Becouse its one of the hardest jobs to make something unique, timeless and memorable. The trends and styles of logo designs are changable, So most of logos that designed in 1900 are unfit for 2010. The logo design should be familiar enough that people not reject them, It should makes you attentive. The point is, The process of re-design for brand identity is necessary from time to time, but keep in mind the core value should never have to be changed, exactly like what apple did, The apple shape with bite is still so far as first design and that’s what we called “core value”, As well the company repeatedly has making a changes on its logo to be more modern.

Tha Style Is Changed

Before days ago, FIFA has unveiled the official logo of the upcoming World Cup that will take place in Brazil in 2014, and as usual, the critics have bad feeling about it.
Regardless of what critics said, We are seeing it from another perspective, we have compared the new logo of upcoming World Cup 2014 in Brazil with logo of world Cup 1950 in Brazil too. It is worth mentioning, The two logos are designed for same country but with differently style.

What to do?

We would hear your opinion about the two logos and What is the difference between them? How the differently style and trends are change the view of critics?
It’s discussion panel, feel free and write what you have in mind

Be Sociable, Share!

Tags: ,

8 Responses to “Brazil World Cup Logos Between 1950 and 2014”

1. Raja Sandhu says:

In time, and with enough exposure, all logos work. That will be the case with such any high visibility brand identities, and in this case, the FIFA World Cup 2014 Brasil logo.

We can not determine what will be trendy at that time, but my guess is that logo design will be finding a return to the grass roots of the colour print era. i.e early poster design, more specifically, the style of the 1950 World Cup in Brasil.

You are right, this logo will not win the praise of the critics, and rightly so. It’s poorly designed, overtly contrived, and based on an ambitious concept…”our hands on the trophy”. It also does not have the elements of timeless logo design, such as the use of solid colours, the ability to reduce well. From a quick glance, I see about 4 different typefaces as well. Never mind the terrible integration of the copyright and registrations marks. I could go on, but that is not the issue here.

You are asking what the differences are between the two logos.

Aside from about 64 years, I’d say the main difference is the medium. While in 1950, they may have required a more literal representation of football / soccer as communication did not touch such a broad audience as it does now and large scale printing costs may have been a factor, the message remained the same. Brasil and Football.

The new FIFA World cup 2014 logo has less work to do. On that note, I’d like to touch on your opening statement. Working on a logo is never boring 😀

– Raja Sandhu

2. Ben Saufley says:

Why does there seem to be such a trend of drawing a line, design-wise, between countries and European/English-speaking ones? It’s probably a tough point to discuss without offending someone, but it seems like a lot of the time, worldwide branding for things from Central or South America and Africa are stuck with this sort of folk-art, primitive-text aesthetic that you hardly ever see used for, say, U.S. or German brands (which seem to trend towards sleek, nike-swoosh type of stuff).

It’s not an absolute rule, but I feel like you rarely see bubble fonts, or cartoonish, blocky fonts like South Africa’s World Cup, in anything adult here in America, and I always wonder who’s making those decisions—is it a bunch of Americans or Europeans sitting around and trying to think of how to best represent Africa’s personality? Or is this something that shows up a lot more in local branding, too? Like, big home brands that aren’t made to represent the country overseas? Do they also have these folkish idiosyncrasies?

The point I’m trying to make, if I’ve failed, is that sometimes it seems like someone with a limited view of latin or African countries is designing these things based only on some limited idea of the culture gleaned from craft fairs and tourist brochures. I just quickly Googled “Brazillian brands,” and most of what I’ve found seems to have the same clean, crisp look that I see a lot in America, so … what’s with the childish drawings and the bubble letters? Obviously it wasn’t this way in 1950.

3. Ivan Raszl says:

I like the feel of the new logo. It has nice colors and overall it’s happy and dynamic. But the green hands, especially the right one has strange proportions.

4. Ben Saufley says:

I missed a word in my first sentence apparently: “between countries and European/English-speaking ones” should be “between latin American and African countries and European/English-speaking ones.”

5. Insaneman says:

Dont realy feel the logo, like I did for the South Africa logo, it looks like its made by a young student in primary.
      It is not polished enough I believe. We’ll see what they’ll do when the time comes, but right now its not trendy and not very attractive. Looks more like a foundation or political party logo

6. @Raja At this time, I believe people trust so much in names of companies and freelancers without focus on high quality of brand identities, Regarding my opening statement, if the work will be like world cup logo, it will be boring :)

@Ben We don’t want offending anyone, Its just discussion. Of course it’s not fail because its Brazillian logo or brand, but i think the designer is not a professional, including adequate!

@Ivan, Thanks for your comment :)

@Insaneman, I don’t think anything will be changing

7. Jordan Groff says:

Great post, I think people should learn a lot from this web site its rattling user genial .

8. Alternate several times until the issue is under your conscious control.
      While it doesn’t eliminate wrist pronation, it does assure that your hand remains in a comfortable position at rest.

n 1: a manner of speaking that is natural to native speakers of a language 2:
      the usage or vocabulary that is characteristic
      of a specific group of people.